Among the thousands of things to do when starting a new business, perhaps one of the most important is to pick a domain name for the business. If you are lucky, perhaps this can be the name of the business itself or like most, you will have to pick a domain name to which to which to build as your online identity. Here are some important steps to do or not do when selecting your business domain.
- Include a location or keyword in your domain name. One of the most successful models is to marry your location to a keyword in your industry. For example, if you are a plumber living in Atlanta, then an obvious choice would be “atlantaplumber.com”. Obviously these have been long gone in most common industries; but, you never know.
- Make sure you register yourself as the owner of the domain. The domain is an important asset and if built properly, it will increase dramatically in value. Many business owners are shocked to discover years down the road that the domain name they have built is owned by some web design company or consultant they hired to buy the domain and build their website years ago.
- Don’t forget to renew your domain registration. Many domains expire each year because an email account has been closed or no longer monitored. Make sure you know when your domains expired and that your contact information is current.
- Don’t use hyphens, numbers or dashes in your name. They just don’t work and customers don’t like them. Trust us on this!
- Don’t waste your money on anything other than a “.com” domain. All the other extensions are worthless. Whens the last time you went to a “.club” website?
- Finally, research and check out your choices before buying them. Do a google search on the name. Run the domain through some of the free blacklist checkers. Finally, make sure you check the trademark database and verify that the name is free of any trademark issues.
All of this takes time, but it is vital that your business domain name be vetted and carefully selected before you begin spending thousands on promoting it. If creating and research is not your thing, you can save a significant amount of time and money by going to a business domain seller such as Elite Brand Names. By utilizing their services, you can cut through having to weed out hundreds of names and only look at names that have been pre-screened and researched by a professional staff.